Thursday, April 15, 2010

To market, to market to buy a.....matryoshka doll?

Time for another update folks!

Firstly it's been great catching up with a few different people this week, I'm glad everyone is enjoying my blog!

I was standing in the kitchen yesterday, trying to understand what Ludmiulla was telling me and I just sort of nodded and said "da" (which is "yes" for those of you who don't know), which made me laugh. I remember writing here a few weeks ago that Billy just says "yes" to whatever I say to him when he doesn't understand me. I have the same coping mechanisms as a three year old!
While we are on the topic of language I would like to point out, that Russian is a very difficult language to learn! My goal of being able to have a conversation with a Russian, in Russian seems to get harder to achieve every day. Oh well practice, practice, practice!

On the weekend I decided I would go to the Izmailovskiy markets that some one had recommended to me. Well worth the two hours it took for me to find the place! You have to pay a small fee to get in, then it is stall after stall of Russian souvenirs. However the second stall on your left when you walk in, is a lovely man, who can speak English, selling DVDs that all play in English and are all brand new releases! I bought "The Blindside" which is a fantastic movie! I will definitely be heading back there before I come home.
I strolled around for hours, eaves dropping on the few English conversations I heard (which is a first!) and of course haggling with the locals. Most Russian people have been just so lovely towards me, I am in there country, my Russian is atrocious, and they just smile and laugh along with me at the difficulty of trying to communicate with each other. Not just at the markets but just about everywhere, people are so willing to help me. I know that this isn't always the case for foreigners in Australia. The opinion of "go home, come back when you can speak English" is rather common. So from my perspective, as a person in Russia who can't speak Russian, the people here are welcoming and accepting, the few people that haven't been, are very few, maybe three?
As this was my first time haggling, I was super excited, and definitely paid more then what I could have, but I really don't mind. It was just such a great experience! I'm so glad I know my numbers!
I was wondering around in search of the loo's following Russian signs which I think some kids had played with and made the arrows point in the wrong direction. I eventually found the lady you have to pay to use the toilet, said thank you and headed in when she stopped me and pointed to the roll of toilet paper on her desk. I have never felt more self conscious in my life, all I was thinking was "how much toilet paper do I take, are there customs in Russia, why is she starring at me!? What if this is too much, or not enough!" I know this may seem trivial to you, but when you come to Russia and have an angry looking Russian lady staring you down while you take some toilet paper of her desk, tell me how you feel then.
After the bathroom experience, I found myself in a new section of the markets. The buildings were amazing, and such typical Russian design, just stunning. I was taking some happy snaps, when a security/military looking man came over to me and told me I couldn't take photo's, I was apologising and saying I didn't know when I suddenly realised the 100 no photography signs stuck up everywhere.... Oops!
The colours, sites and sounds of the markets are fantastic, you really feel like you aren't at home and that this is what travelling is all about.

The rest of my week has been lovely, it was Ludmiulla's birthday on Monday, yummy cake! Then Tuesday was Nelli's dad's birthday. We had a huge family dinner, with loads of yummy food and red wine. Plus some not so yummy cake. I also had my first taste of caviar. Now as most of you know, I am a very fussy eater, I knew the chances of me liking fish eggs was slim but I was slightly optimistic. I told myself that even if it wasn't nice to just politely say something like "oh, that's different!" instead what did I graciously say while all eyes were on me... "OH, oh that is awful!" I would have loved to have seen my face!

Well it's a rainy night here in Moscow and I'm ready for bed.
I hope you enjoyed!
Until next week
Dasvidanya!

No comments:

Post a Comment