Monday, July 26, 2010

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Hello everyone!

I thought I would deliver another update before I started getting fresh demands!

We are back into our same old routine, and fully recovered from our holiday. It's incredible how exhausting holidays can be.

Billy is on summer school holidays, so both kids at home all day everyday is creating a very noisy household. The average temperature here during the day at the moment is in the high 30's usually around 36 though. It's very warm! It's strange to think of Russia as being hot. I always associated it with snow, and minus 30 temps, without much thought to summer.

It has been a bit of a slow week really. Although Saturday night's adventure was quite exciting and loads of fun!
I was going to go to the circus, but thought dressing up and dancing the night away would be much more fun (and cheaper). I arranged to meet a few new Russian people at a club called "Club Che" which is yet another salsa club. I exchanged numbers with a few people and jumped on the bus to head to the train station.
Whilst sitting on the bus I realised my phone was not working, I'd forgotten to look at the map to see exactly where the club was (I knew which Metro station, but that was all) and in an effort to get my phone working again I turned my phone off. I of course forgot that I need a pin to turn my phone back on. A pin I don't know.
So in a moment of brilliance I thought "Oh well, instead of going home I'll just buy a new Sim card." After purchasing the new Sim card, in very bad Russian and very bad reciprocated English, it was only then that I realised I don't have access to anyone else's numbers, and no one knows my new number.
Sometimes I am truly concerned about the lack of thought that goes into some of the things I do.

I set off into the city anyway, not too disheartened by the events that had already unfolded.
I made it to Lubyanka metro station and was heading out of the exit when I heard some girls knocking on the glass booth of the sleeping security guard saying "umm excuse me, do you speak English......?" I turned around and exclaimed "I speak English!" And that is how I met my first Australians in Russia.
I was so excited, if we weren't on an unstable escalator I would have hugged them! The girls, Angela and Ashley (Such normal names!) where heading to a club called Propaganda. I showed them the way and discovered that they were on a tour, with more Australians. Everyone on the tour said that they were a bit over meeting Australians everywhere they go, but I was by far the most enthusiastic one they had met thus far. It was fabulous, I hang out with them for a few hours, but they all eventually dwindled away because of their busy tour scheduled the next day.
I did try to get into club Che to meet up with my Russian friends, but wasn't allowed in (face control can be nasty!)
I decided my night was not over yet, there was bound to be more alcohol waiting in a bar for me somewhere. I walked to Karma bar, but didn't quite make it to the door, when I was stopped. A group of guys were walking out and told me that it wasn't worth going to, but they knew of another really good place. They didn't seem like serial killers so I tagged along with them for the walk to "Papa's". They turned out to be a great bunch of people, they even introduced me to another Aussie, who works at the embassy. We got to Papa's to find a Christmas in July party, complete with fake snow all through the club. It was brilliant fun. When I finally thought it must be getting late and time for me to head home, I stepped outside to be greeted by blazing sunshine, and rouble hungry taxi drivers.
Definitely one of the best Saturday nights I've had in Moscow!

Meeting so many genuinely lovely people last night and making some new friends has certainly lifted my cloud of homesickness that I seem to be under a lot lately.

So another week begins, my goodness where did July go?

I hope all is well at home,
I'm missing everyone lots!
I'm off to continue watching the large fireworks display that is quite literally, next door. Grace has slept through so far, although how exactly I'm not sure.
However until I have more to report on, this is all for now.
Dasvidanya!

No comments:

Post a Comment