Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The hazards of spring!

Hello all,

I'm hoping no one is still having trouble opening my blog, let me know if you are.

Well March has brought spring to Russia, and it's a dangerous season! Not only will the bears be waking up soon, the snow is turning to slush, there are random avalanches of snow from roof tops and other buildings and don't forget the rather pointy icicles that crash to the ground. The icicles that don't fall off, melt onto the footpath, making yet another hazard. Slipping onto concrete covered in dirty snow!
Despite all of this, it still doesn't take away from the sheer beauty of this country, its simply breath taking.
Even though the sun is out more and more during the day, its still below zero most days and it still snows a fair bit.

Last Saturday Nelli, her mum, Billy and I headed out for the day. It was mine and Billy's first time on the Metro, which was very loud and crowded. It felt like the trains here go a bit faster then the ones back home, and the doors don't wait for anyone, if they start to close do not try to get through, they wont re-open, they will just cause serious damage!
We were heading out to go to the Picasso exhibition which has opened at the Pushkin state museum, however the line up was literally around the block so we settled for the Glazunov art gallery across the road. (http://www.glazunov.ru/EN/Ilustracii_gl.htm)
I had a look at the website and it doesn't show my favourite paintings, which is a shame. Most of his paintings are very political, and show Russia's history. There are a few religious paintings as well. On the third floor of the gallery we had a look in a section where the artist is unknown, it had thousand year old furniture and some lovely statues. Plus I figured out why the artist remained unknown. Absolutely brilliant paintings but very controversial!

We had a bite to eat, Nelli pointed out some near by cathedrals and we headed back down to the metro to be met on the train by at least 200 young police men. The train was extremely crowded, however I didn't mind as I got to check out cute Russian guys in uniform!

Monday the 8th was "women's day" which was fabulous! I got chocolates and flowers, just for being a woman. Our household is mainly women so we where truly in the spirit of things. Lots of food, Vodka (and Tequila!), visitors, more flowers and even more food. It was a really great day, and I'm so glad I was here for it.

Tuesday was Billy's first day back at school, it has been school holidays since I arrived. So he was super excited, and his English is really, very good.

I'm certainly very settled in now, and am feeling a part of the family.... but I'm a family member who doesn't know what anyone is saying, which is hard.

I'm missing home, especially Gordon Manor and my boys!
But almost a month in Russia, and it has flown by so fast! May will be here in no time!
I hope everyone is well in Australia, and my thoughts are with all my friends who have lost some one close to them recently.

Until next time, Dasvidanya.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post Sara! My gosh I really am so proud of you. Sometimes I take for granted how truly amazing you are and how lucky we all are to have you in our lives! I'm a very fortunate mum!
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete