Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Leaving home.

Hello!

I've been a nanny for the past three years and next Wednesday I'll be a nanny in Moscow, Russia.

This is by far the most exciting and nerve racking decision I have ever made!

I don't speak a word of Russian, or any other language for that matter, but the best way to learn is to throw yourself into a new culture, right? Well I'll soon find out!
I sold my car, that I love, and my visa came in the mail on Tuesday. Getting a visa into Russia is quite different then it is for other countries, you need to be invited into the country. Luckily my employers did most of the paper work.

I don't have that many winter clothes, so shopping is a high priority once
I get settled in. It was -26 in Moscow today, but a toasty 32 degrees here. I'll miss the heat, a lot.

I'm trying to prepare myself as best I can for a huge cultural change, but there is only so much preparation that can be done really. I'm super excited but every now and again I have little thoughts of doubt, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. I have been researching Russia and learned that you can't drink the tap water, so glad I found that out, also you should never go to somebodies home and not take a gift, they think you are greedy otherwise.

I haven't ever really traveled, I've only been out of Australia once before. Last year my best friend and I went to New Zealand for a ski holiday (on day two I skied into a fence, skiing apparently is not one of my many talents).

The family I am going to work with seem very nice although very limited english. Two children Grace* (one) and Billy* (three). I really enjoy working with children. Infants to about four or five years old are my favorite ages to work with, any older and they talk back, when they are little I can mold them into nice well mannered children, with a few exceptions of course. I have been so fortunate in that I haven't worked with any families that have been unpleasant or unkind. They have all impacted my life in different ways, taught me things and helped shape me into the person I am today and I am very grateful for it. I'm sure I'll share a few stories of previous families in later blogs.

I have lived in Brisbane for about two years now, and It's been so much fun! I have made the best friends, lived with amazing people and basically just had a lot of great times! I'll miss "my boys" so much. Of course I'll miss my mum and little sister Madi, all my family and friends. I am doing this completely by myself. I know I'm going to have an amazing adventure, no matter what happens, I know I won't regret this decision, and who knows where I'll go after Moscow.... Rome, Glasgow, Madrid, Rio.... the world is my oyster, and I intend to see it all!

I'm starting this blog to document my trip, keep me sane and to get advice from anyone out there who can share travel/survival tips, nanny tips, well, anything really.

So the countdown is on! Next week I'll be in Russia, Oh My Goodness!




* I will change all names of the children and families I have worked with, for obvious reasons. I am very aware that families deserve privacy and confidentiality.