Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sunshine!

Today, for the first time in almost a week, I saw the sun!!

I was so excited, I put on all my extra layers to go outside (because it is still below zero), found the front door and headed out!

I Don't think I have ever been happier to see the sun, apparently all the Russian people where a bit excited as well, because everyone was outside. Shovelling snow seemed to be the main activity as well as walking the dog, and pulling there very rugged up children on sleds.
I walked around the neighbourhood and you wouldn't believe the houses I am surrounded by, they are incredible. Even the house I live in, I have found a new room almost every day! The area I live in is obviously where all the wealthy people live, every house is like a mansion. They are all huge, and absolutely stunning.

I set off for my walk, and wound down through some lanes that ended no where in particular, went for a walk to the forest (there is a huge forest just a few houses away) I didn't venture too far. Mainly because the snow is waist deep and too soft to walk on, you just fall through it.
I tried to stick to the paths where other people had been, and the snow had compacted enough to walk on, but still managed to fall over about five times and I lost count of how many times I feel through the snow.

One day of sunshine and already the snow is melting, the icicles are dripping from my window and I saw some birds for the first time today. It's making me excited for spring, but I'm not getting too excited, it's snowing again tomorrow.

But I'm glad I got a bit of Vitamin D today. I don't know how people in cold countries do it, almost a week without the sun was upsetting enough, they do it for months on end. No wonder everyone seems grumpy on the streets here!

I said hello to a few people that I passed by, with out any dramas but I little girl asked me something and I felt terrible I couldn't answer her! She was so cute in her giant red snow suit that made her look like a star fish.

My russian vocabulary has flourished to about 12 words.... But that is double what I started with!

I'll keep working on it, I can only get better!

Thank you for everyones e mails and well wishes, it means so much to me, and it is fantastic to hear from people.
I hope everyone is well back in Australia, and I will post more when I have more to report on!

Baka! (bye-Bye)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely walk, please stay out of the forest though!! Don't want you to disappear in the snow and go missing & no one will hear your little English cries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...no standing under a bright light for vitamin D?? Oh and bring me back a bird...but if u find a bear, i want it!

    ReplyDelete