Friday, February 26, 2010

Week one: Thoughts so far....

Well I have been here for one week today, and it has gone slowly!
I really do think time has slowed down in Russia. Maybe it's just keeping track of time in two countries making it seem like time is slow here, its already Friday in Australia!

Well I was thinking today that I should write a bit more about what it's like where I live and what the people are like.

It is so different here. As I said previously the house is simply magnificent, its three (possibly four) story's high. I was on the third floor today and I found the most depressing cactus on the face of the planet, I don't understand why you would have a cactus in moscow?!

The dinning room table can seat 16 people, I found some gorgeous glass wear and some very expensive looking vodka. There is the most beautiful timber used for all the furniture, doors and big wooden panels on the roof. All the floors have heating under them so they are lovely and warm.

I rarely see the dad, he is in his office, or out doing business type stuff. Mum is home a fair bit, but doing what I'm not sure. Grandma is here 5 nights a week. I don't think the cleaner lives here, she is just here most of the time. There are always at least three security guards here at all times and the two kids. Oh and of course the russian nanny works whenever I don't so she is here most days. So basically we have a very full busy household, which is really nice. I really feel like I'm getting to see what its like to live in this country, well the wealthy version anyway. I did find out that the russian nanny has two children and is 38, that bit of information took half an hour to figure out!

I would have to say the security guards and drivers got the rough end of the stick, I'm sure its warm where they are but it's not much to look at and they are outside a lot.

The security guards, one in particular are very nice. I think his name is Ulah... or something like that. He says hello to me instead of privet (Привет, I think that's how it's written in Russian). He also laughs at me a lot too, but I laugh at me too so It's ok.

The cook (whose name I don't think I will ever be able to pronounce) made me breakfast this morning, and it was like eating the left over bits of burnt pop corn that didn't pop, with milk on it.... it was bad. Then for lunch we had, vilumeani... its pastry wrapped around cherries, then boiled and eaten warm with cream, it was interesting. Boiled pastry tasted like something from home, but I still can't think of what it is....

The sun wasn't out today but a lot of the snow is starting to melt, which I feel is a bit premature (but I'm no expert) and because all the paths got cleared the other day, the snow melts and then freezes into ice on the foot paths, I am going to seriously bruise my bum one of these days.
I asked Nelli what happens when all the snow melts, because there is A LOT of snow and she gestured to show "covered" and said Moscow is like a lake. I really need to buy some better boots! You would think that they would maybe implement some sort of drainage system, but apparently not.

Oh just a quick note before I go to let you know that I am doing much better with the children, so well in fact that Billy doesn't seem to want to leave me alone!
And Grace doesn't cry every time she is left with me, and she actually wanted a hug today, so I'm feeling better about that! But I am still really missing my Aussie babies! One very special little girl in particular, Grace doesn't smile like she does!

I think I'm going to venture out by myself tomorrow, so I'm off to do an intensive language lesson!

Trivia: there are 33 letters in the Russian alphabet.

2 comments:

  1. Sara - this blog rocks!! - glad to hear you got a bit of sunshine and the kids are starting to behave. Keep writing - we're keeping track :) Anton x

    ReplyDelete
  2. following your blog... hope ya havin fun...missin u heapss...talk to ya soon.. love ya dean xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete